Baldragon Academy was founded in 1997 by the merger of Kirkton High School (1960) and Rockwell High School (1932) both of which have former pupils who are prominent across the city and around Scotland.
The school is situated on the northwest periphery of Dundee and is located on the northern side of the ring road. The school is a 6 year comprehensive set in its own extensive, attractive grounds of over 20 acres and has exceptional views of the countryside to the north of its catchment area. The school has provision for athletics, cross-country, football and has Tennis Courts, Swimming Pool, Gymnasium, Dance and Fitness Suite.
The school was completed in 1960 and the buildings on the site are in good order. There has been considerable upgrading of the building in recent years. The main block was reclad in 1999 with refurbishment of the Art and Design Department. Phase 2, completed in August 2001, with refurbishment in Social Education, Home Economics and the addition of practice rooms in Music. In 2003 there was recladding and refurbishment in English, Geography, Modern Languages and Support for Learning. Chemistry Labs and pupil toilets were completed in August 2003. The improvements in PE, through our community sports partnership, and to the Assembly Hall were completed in November 2005. A Biology Lab was refurbished in spring 2006.
Teaching takes place in three main blocks. There are central offices, Guidance Suite, Assembly Hall, Dining Hall and Resource Centre. The school is well resourced with up to date Business Studies, Computing, Technology Laboratories and a Fitness Suite.